In collaboration with UNESCO and a number of centres of excellence in the South, TWAS has instituted a Joint Associateship Scheme to enable competent researchers from the South to visit these centres regularly. An associate is appointed for three years during which he/she can visit a Centre twice for research collaboration. Almost 300 centres have been selected to participate in the Scheme. TWAS provides travel support for the associates and a contribution towards subsistence costs up to USD300.00 per month while living expenses are covered by the host centres.In 1994, in cooperation with UNESCO, TWAS instituted an Associateship Scheme to help counteract the brain drain affecting many developing countries. The programme supports regular research visits from developing countries to centres of excellence in the South. Almost 300 centres of excellence in the South have agreed to participate in the programme.
About The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS)
TWAS The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries works to support sustainable prosperity through research, education, policy and diplomacy. TWAS is a global science academy based in Trieste, Italy. Through three decades, TWAS’s mission has remained consistent: Recognize, support and promote excellence in scientific research in the developing world; Respond to the needs of young scientists in countries that are lagging in science and technology; Promote South-South and South-North cooperation in science, technology and innovation; Encourage scientific research for developing countries
TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme for Researchers
- Type: Postgraduate
- Organisation: The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS)
- Country to study–
- School to study–
- Course to study: Not specified
- State of Origin
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: December 12, 2022
Aim and Benefits of TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme for Researchers
- The Associateship covers the associate’s travel expenses and a monthly contribution of USD300 towards incidental local expenses.
- The host centre covers accommodation and food, and provides research facilities.
Requirements for TWAS-UNESCO Associateship Scheme for Researchers Qualification
- Applicants must hold a PhD or equivalent degree.
- The selection of associates is highly competitive; appointments are made based on merit.
- Special consideration is given to scientists from isolated institutions in developing countries.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
Documents Required for Application
- Scanned copy of the applicant’s passport, even if expired (page with applicant’s name and surname);
- Supporting Statement from Head of Home Institution;
- The applicant’s curriculum vitae (no more than 4 pages);
- The applicant’s full list of publications;
- PhD certificate;
- Two letters of recommendation by two referees, one of whom should be from an expert from another country;
- A recent invitation letter – on the host institution’s letterhead paper – from one of the Institutions listed in the files available here. It should contain the proposed time of the visits (two to three months for each visit) and should refer to the proposed cooperation. It should be made evident that the applicant and the proposed host have been in contact regarding the scientific work to be done during the visit and that the conditions for conducting the work have been agreed in terms of the timing of the visit and the facilities available.
December 12, 2022
Interested and qualified? Go to The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) on onlineforms.twas.org to apply
For more details,visit TWAS website